Sunday, April 14, 2013

Week of December 10, 2012


Well, it is with a somber heart that I write to you today.  There were two separate instances that happened in our country this week that are terrible acts of violence which have made a huge impact on the mood and spirit of this season. 

Last Tuesday, someone entered the Clackamas Town Center and opened gun fire near the food court.  Two people were killed and one was seriously injured before the gunman killed himself.  Needless to say, since it was so close to home, our nerves were a little bit rattled and the news coverage was endless. 

Until Friday, when another gun man entered Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut and opened fire on children and teachers at 9:30 in the morning.  The stories are just now unfolding, but there were 20 children killed and 6 adults, including the school principal and counselor.  It was found later that the shooter had previously shot and killed his own mother in her home prior to his going to the school.  This guy was 20 years old and rumors are that he suffered from Asperger syndrome. 

Many stories of heroism are coming out now and the news coverage is nonstop.  Needless to say, my afternoon at work last Friday was pretty hard. 

Earlier in the week, I absent mindedly left my library door unlocked (due to a series of unfortunate events)  and that night while a 7th grade basketball event was happening in the gym, some kids decided to walk around the school and when they went into the library, they pulled two full shelves of books onto the floor and got into my stuffed toys above my cupboards, took down my SpongeBob toys and stole Patrick the starfish.  I wouldn’t feel so bad about it except those were toys that I borrowed from Lainey’s collection here at home.  Our principal and I figured out that they had also been in the cafeteria and helped themselves to chocolate milk and goldfish crackers.  The nerve!  Our principal has let facilities know that if anything else happens, they will not be allowed to play basketball in our gym after hours anymore. 




So, anyway, then on Wednesday, our principal announced his retirement!  He will be officially retired on January 1st, but will be at the school until the end of the school year.  Bummer!

So, not a great week!!!!


I hope yours have been much better there!

We did something fun tonight, though!  Tim Ray was involved with the orchestra at the Portland Christian Center and they had their Christmas Concerts this week and last. Tim invited us to attend and I’m really glad we did.  We just got back.  Annie and Nick went with us as well as Lainey, Calais and Aaron.  We had fun.


We finally decorated the tree last night when we realized that if we didn’t, we wouldn’t have time to until next weekend. 








This coming week, Uncle Marty has double carpal tunnel surgery on Tuesday.  Grandma and Grandpa Inman are coming up tomorrow to go with him.  After he is discharged that afternoon, they are driving him straight to North Bend to recover.  It should be interesting for him.  No use of both arms for a couple of weeks…We hope to go down next week sometime to join them. 


Also on Tuesday is Century Band’s winter concert.  That should be fun.  I love to go watch. 



I think I told you that the adults in my family drew names this year to help keep the cost of gift giving down.  I drew Micque, so I decided to make her a table topper quilt for her dining table.  I finished it last night at about 2:00am.  I’m so tired today!  I wanted to be sure and have it ready for when Grandmas comes this week so she can take it back with her on Tuesday and have it under their tree on Christmas day.  Anyway, here’s the finished product:

Sorry for the bad photo.  The whites are bright white and the outside edge of the quilt is the blue star.  It should look fun on her round kitchen table.  Here’s a closer-up shot:




So Adam, will I get an email from you next week, or just wait for Christmas day?  Only 8 days left!!!!!!!!!!

I’m assuming we’ll get short calls in advance of Christmas to let us know when and what number to call Drew and confirm a time for Adam??  Just let us know and we’ll be more than happy to talk about it!

Sorry this email was a downer.  We’ll work on better news for next week!!

Love you tons and tons!!

No comments: